Monday, April 18, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

Tonight I had a new, old experience. I have had spaghetti squash, however it has been about 15 years. Tonight we replaced the regular whole grain pasta with spaghetti squash. It was simply amazing. I could happily give up most regular pasta at this point. I really enjoyed it plain or with pasta sauce. I then proceeded to try it with a little olive oil and fresh herbs. It was SOOOO good. You may be wondering at this point why this is significant? The reason is compared to whole grain pasta's 200 + calories per cup where as spaghetti squash has 42 calories per cup.  Yes that is right 42 calories, and it has 2.5 grams of fiber in that one cup. That means if I want a whole plate of "spaghetti" an average of 3 cups of spaghetti squash it is only 126 calories. This is an amazing amount of food, for a very low calorie count. If you add a cup and a half of Hunts Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce it adds 150 calories equaling 276 calories for enough food for two people.

I hope you enjoy try this amazing food and find a new favorite like I did.

Jake

P.S. I forgot to let ya know how to cook it...lol

It is super simple to cook. Just pierce the skin a couple times and place it in the microwave for 6-9 minutes until the skin is soft. Then cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Scrape the
"noodles" out of the squash and enjoy. Super simple.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I finally found your blog again, yea! Mine is www.runawaystorymagic.blogspot.com just in case :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna find some today! This is the 2nd time I've heard about it this week! It's a sign!

    ReplyDelete